Our Mental Health Program provides free legal advice over the telephone to low and modest income individuals detained under BC's Mental Health Act, and/or to their family and relatives.
Our Mental Health Program offers up to 30 minutes of free legal advice over the telephone to individuals (and their relatives) who seek release from detainment under BC's Mental Health Act. Our volunteer lawyers can advise on the following topics:
- What it means to be certified under the Mental Health Act
- Right to a second opinion
- How to apply for a review
- Legal test and procedures at review hearings
- Consequences of cancelling vs postponing a hearing
- How to prepare for a hearing
To book an advice session, you can fill out our Online Triage Form, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-877-762-6664 ext. 1500 or 604-482-3195 ext. 1500. If you email or call us, please provide your name, contact information, and hearing date if one has been set. We can usually book an advice session within three business days.
For information about your rights under BC's Mental Health Act, consider the following resources:
- BC's Mental Health Act
- Mental Health Regulation
- Rules of Practice and Procedure of the Mental Health Review Board
- Commonly Asked Questions of the Mental Health Review Board
- Apply for Review Hearing
- Information on drugs commonly prescribed