What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines “Personal Information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking, Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number, or e-mail address. The types of Personal Information that APB may collect about you includes your name, business address, telephone number, personal email address, information about a client’s legal issue and other information incidental to providing pro bono legal services (including Personal Information about witnesses, family members, beneficiaries, directors, officers, employers, adverse parties, parties-in-interest, investigators, decision makers, experts, other professional advisors).
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, APB collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about its registrants in order to provide our clients with professional legal services. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to establish and manage volunteer relationships, provide pro bono legal advice, perform pro bono legal services, fulfill legal duties, and avoid conflicts of interest;
- to share Personal Information to and from third parties for the purpose of providing pro bono legal services;
- to distribute our quarterly newsletter and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists;
- to detect and protect APB against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with APB policies and contractual obligations;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, APB may disclose your Personal Information to:
- our Program Coordinators and other service providers retained by APB to perform functions on its behalf;
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by APB.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, APB will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent in writing to our Privacy Officer, using the contact information below.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, APB employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing, we ensure, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Privacy and our Website
E-Mail Communications - Occasionally, we may send informational or promotional e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about pro bono opportunities with APB and third parties. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future informational or promotional e-mails from APB.
Links - Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than APB, and APB has no responsibility for such third party websites.
Access Pro Bono Society of British Columbia
300 – 845 Cambie Street
Canada V6B 4Z9
Business Line: 604.482.3195
Fax Line: 604.893.8934